Photoshoots- We have all probably done 1 or 50...
Last month, Anthony oversaw a salon campaign shoot in San Francisco for Evo hair (part of Evo hair's educational offerings, it's super rad if you are asking me)
As said before, by proxy I had the opportunity to be a spectator of how this sort of stuff goes down with the seasoned pro himself.
Look Below -
8 things you need to consider before your shoot:
- Models- For campaign #goals: 6 models, 12 looks. Editorial, advert or NAHA standard.
- Looks- Different Textures, lengths, and colours. Variety but tells the same story.
- Make-up- Start with natural look than build it up. Get inspirations, get moodboards going.
- Outfits- Total looks. Ask yourself: will this be colorful, plain, clean? Moodboard it.
- Mood- Collection that tells the same story. Is it strong? Does it match?
- Model Poses- Straight on, or head shots. Full Length? Group shots? Candid? Fun?
- Lighting- Spot light? Clean? Clear focus? Sharp? Will you photoshop? Filter? RingFlash?
- BackDrop- Indoor or Outdoor? Consider colour. Time of day. Weather. Texture, etc..
Why Photoshoot? It is how we share our work. Period.
As hairdressers, we are either shooting one, planning on shooting one, or have just finished shooting one.
While there are people who just happen to be able to wing it and have great photos; or make it look effortless - (I'm looking at you Douglas McCoy).
Fact of the matter is, you get out what you put toward it.
For those of you who believe you can "DO IT ALL" ...
Sorry to break it to you. it is not recommended. And really, it takes time.
So plan wisely, accordingly.
As with anything else, a successful photoshoot requires much planning and structure.
Creativity and all the fun stuff happens once you have the non-sexy technical stuff down. For example, making sure the models show up without her mustache or back hair (unless that is what you are going for, etc)
Creativity is fun. Productivity is work.
A good photoshoot, or anything good for that matter, takes equal part passion + determination to be brought to life. You dig?
Hope you enjoy reading this
It's all love xxx